Choosing the Right Embroidery Supplies for Your Project
Project time! You’ve picked a pattern, and you’re about to start an embroidery project. What are the right supplies for ready, set, go? Choosing correctly for this go-round will make the difference between “Oh, no!” and “Go!” We’ll show you how to choose the right supplies and you can order all of your embroidery supplies online right here at The Embroidery Store (www.embstore.com), in one fell swoop.
“The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today.” – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
General embroidery supplies for a machine embroidery project are thread, needles, scissors, fabric, and hoops. And of course, your trusty embroidery machine and software!
- Thread is the paint of your project. Imagine the colors! Most projects use size 40 rayon or polyester thread. Some projects may require fine lettering or detail, which can be achieved most effectively with size 60 polyester thread, such as Fine Line by Exquisite.
- The needle is the paintbrush of your project. Many machine embroiderers use size 75.11 light ballpoint almost exclusively. This is the ideal needle for knits and for some friendly woven fabrics. Sharp point needles (instead of ball point) are well-suited to tough or high thread-count woven fabrics such as quilting cottons and synthetics like polyester and nylon.
- Scissors are your best friend. A pair of small, sharp shears are an indispensable embroidery supply. Those universal scissors in your drawer literally won’t cut it (and could ruin it). A four- to six-inch embroidery scissors may be able to cut both thread and stabilizer.
- Your stabilizer should be suited to your fabric. Remember the general guideline and it will usually serve you well: If it stretches, use cutaway. Also, if you ever did any embroidery on toilet paper (seriously – it’s a thing!) you know that you weren’t really embroidering the toilet paper. You were embroidering the cutaway stabilizer and the toilet paper was just getting in the way.
- Round hoops have been the traditional shape because they tension the fabric equally in all directions.Square and rectangular hoops have gained popularity in recent years for machine embroidery because of the additional embroidery area they allow. They also have the benefit of being able to use the straight edge of the hoop to align with garment elements to help assure straight embroidery.
Keep the above list and take it up a notch. General embroidery supplies for a machine embroidery project are the embroidery machine, computer software, and designs.
- The embroidery machine is your embroidery partner, so take good care of your partner. Whether you have a home single needle model or a full-size commercial version, high-quality supplies and good technique will result in great results.
- Your embroidery software is your toolbox. Make sure your toolbox contains all of the fonts you need and the ability to resize, cut, copy and paste. More advanced options are available, but most projects only require these basics.
- Designs are your digital patterns. There are mega design sites with thousands of designs, but there are also dozens of independent designers. Look around to find one that suites your individual style. Many designers have freebies that let you try out a few deigns to see their quality.
You can order these embroidery supplies online, from the top to the bottom of this list. Many of them can be found and purchased right here from The Embroidery Store.
Set aside time. Be sure that you allow about 20% more than you think you will need.
Lay out a game plan. Pre-cut your stabilizers and check for all the thread colors you will need.
Straighten your work area and put everything back in it’s place before beginning.
Make a note of any thread colors and other supplies that are getting low, so you have it handy to add to your online order.
“When I’m not writing or tweaking my computer, I do embroidery. When I’m not plunging into the past, tweaking, or embroidering, I’m reading books about history, computers, or embroidery.” – Lynn Abbey, author
Go have some fun with the right embroidery supplies and make something beautiful along the way!
Never miss another update…
Sign up for our newsletter by filling out this simple form! —->